Sage Living Garden wins big at Teton County Fair
Posted: August 7, 2023
Our Sage Living Outdoor Garden has won Best In Show, Division Champion, and 1st Place Exhibit Hall in the Herb category at The Teton County Fair for our Organically Grown Garlic right here on the St. John’s campus! We also entered a beautiful head of Cauliflower which won 1st Place Exhibit Hall in the Vegetable category, along with our Native Wyoming Pollinator Flower Arrangement that received a 2nd place in the Flower Division!
Other Interesting Facts and Figures about our Sage Living Gardens:
- 10 garden plots established Aug, 2021
- 2 raised bed Pollinator Gardens established June, 2022 and 2023
- 2022 gardens were tended by Life Enrichment staff and residents and yielded:
Radishes, Lettuce, Kale, Brussel Sprouts, Carrots, Parsley, and Potatoes equaling 83 lbs.
- 2023 gardens are a partnership with 4 Master Gardner Volunteers including Mari Allan Hanna, Program Director, Slow Foods of the Tetons, Donna Tully, Science Director, Jackson Hole Community School, Lisa Lowenfield, Kelly Elementary School Teacher, and Ruth Valsic, Master Gardner from the Jackson Community.
- All 300+ garlic were planted in Fall, 2022 by Piper Lee, a student at Jackson Hole Community School under the direction of Donna Tully.
- Our gardens are SUSTAINABLE (we use organic growing methods enhancing our soil each year with compost). As a result, we do not need to use herbicides, pesticides, or chemical fertilizers to grow food consumed by residents at Sage Living. Our organically grown food is also used by Choices Café at St. Johns Health.
- To date (2023) our Master Gardeners have harvested:
- Beet Greens 10.30 lbs
- Broccoli 4.00 lbs
- Collard Greens 2.25 lbs
- Garlic Scapes 14.00 lbs
- Garlic Bulbs 135.00 lbs
- Kale 2.20 lbs
- Radish 10.20 lbs
- Spinach 8.40 lbs
- 186.35 lbs total up to August 1, 2023